By Gavin Hardy,Laurence Totelin
Gavin Hardy and Laurence Totelin have introduced jointly their botanical and historic wisdom to supply this distinct evaluate of historic botany. It examines the entire founding texts of botanical technological know-how, corresponding to Theophrastus' Enquiry into Plants, Dioscorides' Materia Medica, Pliny the Elder's Natural History, Nicolaus of Damascus' On Plants, and Galen' On basic Remedies, but additionally comprises lesser identified texts starting from the 6th century BCE to the 7th century CE, in addition to a few fabric facts. The authors undertake a thematic method instead of a chronological one, contemplating vital concerns akin to the definition of a plant, nomenclature, classifications, body structure, the hyperlink among crops and their setting, and the various usages of crops within the old global. The booklet additionally takes care to put historic botany in its old, social and financial context. The authors have defined all technical botanical phrases and historical historical past notions, and accordingly, this paintings will entice historians of historical technological know-how, drugs and know-how; classicists; and botanists attracted to the heritage in their discipline.
Read or Download Ancient Botany (Sciences of Antiquity Series) PDF
Best botany books
Adapting Agriculture to weather swap is a primary source for basic execs, land managers, coverage makers, researchers and scholars fascinated by getting ready Australia’s fundamental industries for the demanding situations and possibilities of weather swap. greater than 30 authors have contributed to this ebook, which strikes past describing the factors and outcomes of weather swap to offering strategies for individuals to paintings in the direction of variation motion.
This booklet introduces Proto-Indo-European and explores what the language unearths in regards to the those who spoke it. The Proto-Indo-Europeans lived someplace in Europe or Asia among 5,500 and 8,000 years in the past, and no textual content in their language survives. J. P. Mallory and Douglas Adams express how during the last centuries students have reconstructed it from its descendant languages, the surviving examples of which contain the world's biggest language kin.
The single whole advisor to the wealthy and specified plants of Arizona, that includes greater than 900 full-color photos and targeted descriptions of every plant.
A descriptive account of the Ochnaceae local and naturalised in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda.
- Photosynthetic Reaction Center: 2 (Photosynthetic Reaction Center, Two-Volume Set)
- WASTES 2015 – Solutions, Treatments and Opportunities: Selected papers from the 3rd Edition of the International Conference on Wastes: Solutions, Treatments ... Do Castelo, Portugal,14-16 September 2015
- Genetic Improvement of Bioenergy Crops
- Exploitation of Environmental Heterogeneity by Plants: Ecophysiological Processes Above- and Belowground (Physiological Ecology)
- Plant Diversity in the Central Great Caucasus: A Quantitative Assessment (Geobotany Studies)
- Our Knowledge Is Not Primitive: Decolonizing Botanical Anishinaabe Teachings (Iroquois and Their Neighbors) (The Iroquois and Their Neighbors)
Additional info for Ancient Botany (Sciences of Antiquity Series)